Paruppu kuzhambhu is one of my favorite dish. My mom used to make it on Sundays when I was a kid. I love this. This recipe is from my amma.
Toor dal – 160 gms
Whole Asafoetida – small piece
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp or according to your taste.
Small Onion – 5 nos
Tomato – 2
Salt as required
Coconut – 4 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Dry red chilly – 3 or 4
- Take toor dal, small onions, tomato, asafoetida, turmeric powder and salt in a pan and boil it with water.
- Grind Coconut, chilly powder and cumin seeds coarsely.
- Once dal is cooked, add the coconut paste to dal mixture.
- Boil for 5 mins.
- Temper with oil, mustard seeds, curry leaves and dry red chilly. Pour it to the dal and mix well.
Serve hot with white rice!
- You can add tamarind water instead of tomato.
- Please add chilly powder according to your taste. I use very less chilly powder as my kid likes to eat with less spicy.
- Whole asafoetida tastes better than the powdered one. If you couldn’t get the whole asafoetida use the powdered form.